photo by Addie Goss

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

"I'm convinced that the good life is the life of discipline and following hard after Christ"

"My sense of worth and my joy was totally dependent on how well I was running. The result of having running as my god was frustration, worry, depression, and discontentment with life. I never found the satisfaction I was looking for even though I was leading what most people would call a successful life. Yet I had become like the rich man that when asked how much money was enough replied just a little more. Jesus said, for what does the man profit if he gains the whole world and loses or forfeits himself? I found this verse to be very true in my own life. It isn't the records, championships, or medals that make life fulfilling. Its the life of following Christ. Jesus said, I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. When I'm following Christ closely there is a contentment and satisfaction in my life that is far greater and longer enduring than any good race I have ever run. I'm convinced that the good life is the life of discipline and following hard after Christ. This is my vision - that everything would fade away, all the accolades and rewards and everything that is at stake. And that in my minds eye it would be just me out there running with my God praising him in my sanctuary."
-Ryan Hall

Ryan Hall won the 2008 U.S. Olympic Trials. He broke the marathon record with 2:09:02. But what I find even more incredible is his desire to praise God with his gift of running.

1 Peter 4:11 says, "If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ."

God has given each of us the ability to do 26.2 of something with incredible grace and strength. Ryan Hall runs marathons, what do you do?

Ryan Hall Testimony and Marathon Trials Finish:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZGnJt11mVY

No comments:

Post a Comment